Blog Post #2: School Violence


After reading the two articles and watching the film I have gained a lot of knowledge on school violence. I know some leading causes and how we can prevent school violence. As a future educator school violence is always a concern for me. I want to ensure that my classroom is a safe and welcoming environment. The most significant topic I have always said I want to foster into my classroom is safety. I do not the extremes of my student's lifestyle and I want to foster an environment where they can come into my classroom and feel safe. I intend to teach kindergarten and low elementary grade levels in the future. This is significant because I have these kids at a young age and I can educate them on how to be a good person. Since they are so young I can give them the tools they need to be kind and caring for people. We can cover topics like bullying (physical, verbal, and social), teasing, and maybe even cyberbullying if they are of age. But by exposing them at a young age to what not to do, can help prevent school violence when they are older. I definitely think I will run into situations of bullying and teasing at the grade levels I intend to teach. Children are very blunt and will say whatever comes to mind so I definitely think bullying will occur. But I can be prepared with how to prevent bullying from happening again. I can also use visuals to demonstrate to my students what to do in certain situations. Bullying is a lead cause of school violence in the future, therefore stopping it at a young age and talking about it is important! I believe that myself and other young grade level teachers can stop the spread of violence by educating children at a young age to be kind, respectful, and accepting of others. 



Picture: 

[Choose Kindness]. Zooll Graphics. https://zooll.com/quote-of-the-week-practice-kindness/ 

Picture: [ABC's Of Bullying]. Pinterest. [ABC'S Of Bullyin]. https://www.pinterest.com/pin/465489311488427942/ 

Articles:  

Preventing School Violence. (October 28th, 2020) Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. https://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/youthviolence/schoolviolence/fastfact.html?CDC_AA_refVal=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.cdc.gov%2Fviolenceprevention%2Fyouthviolence%2Fschoolviolence%2Findex.html

Nikki, G. (April 18th, 2016). A Majority of U.S. Teens Fear a Shooting Could Happen at their school, and most parents share their concern. https://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/04/18/a-majority-of-u-s-teens-fear-a-shooting-could-happen-at-their-school-and-most-parents-share-their-concern/

Film:

Bowling for Columbine (2002)


Comments

  1. Hi Kailee,
    This was a very important blog post and I liked what you talked about. I also believe it is very important that bullying is addressed at a young age. It is vital that children are taught at a younger age how to respectfully address their fellow peers while also being informed how powerful words can be to others. Teaching children the importance of key traits such as kindness, empathy, and compassion will help mold these children into proper students as they grow up and mature. I remember in my middle school, we would have assemblies quite frequently regarding the importance of not bullying and if you do see bullying occurring, how important it is to report it. One assembly we were visited by a man named John Hannigan, and he informed us about his son who tragically took his own life in 2003 due to being excessively bullied while at school. This assembly mad a lot of the students feel emotional and saddened, but it was important to hear from a man who knew what it meant to lose someone due to the implications of bullying. In the future, I am going to make sure that my classroom has a zero tolerance policy to bullying. I will also likely discuss bullying in the first day/week of classes and elaborate on why it is so unacceptable.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment