Blog #3: Bullying

1. Discuss at least one thing from Bully that stuck out in your mind. Why? 

One thing that stuck out to me the most in the Netflix film "Bully" was the interview with Bob Johnson, Kelby's dad.  He spoke about the transition their family went through after Kelby came out as gay. Kebly was bullied and harrassed even before she came out, just because of the way she looked. He said many of their very close friends that they've had for years stopped talking to them just because of Kelby's sexuality. "We've pretty much been isolated here" he stated. But the one quote that really stuck to me was again from Kelby's father Bob when they tried to find a solution for the bullying to stop at school. "We've had so many meetings with the principal and the superintendent and they all give you the same plastic smile and say 'yes I understand. I'll do everything I can' and nothings ever done." The way he used the word 'plastic smile' stuck out to me the most because it represents how fake the school system is in handling Kelby's situation. The poor girl was bullied so much that it was sickening for me to hear some of the word choices that were said about her. The principal and superintendent say they will do everything they can, and that they understand. But do they really? That stuck with me throughout the film because it's just so unfair. For parents to hear lies from the district saying they will do everything they can to ensure they are handling the situation, but don't, is very frustrating. In that case, I would rather the school district be upfront and say they can not do anything about it. But do not send false promises to Kelby and her parents. It is a shame the principal and superintendent did not do much for her case. It makes you think about how many other students were struggling just like Kelby but haven't come out about it. If the school brought more awareness to different types of people, others may be inclined to open up. But staying in a fixed mindset does not allow for growth. Kelby was brave enough to continue to keep attending the same school. Kelby said if she would have left the school then they would have won, and she wants to prove a point. And that is what standing up to bullies is all about. Holding your ground, and standing by your truth. 

2. How might these films and articles inform your work with youth? Be specific.

The film and articles informed me on how to deal with bullying overall in a school system. The first step to reducing bullying with children is to create a safe and welcoming environment. When doing this I need to allow my students to trust me and know that I am a safe person to come to with any concerns. I also need to motivate students to participate in all aspects of learning. Giving everyone an equal opportunity to speak. I can do this by writing all of my student's names on a stick and drawing them randomly throughout the day during lessons until the jar is empty. That way everyone gets a chance to speak and all voices are heard. The article "10 Ways To Become An Upstander" talks about significant ways to look out for bullies and how to address them. With young students, it is important that I teach them at a young age about people's differences. Having students understand that we are all different in unique ways can lessen the chances of bullying. In order to install this message in my classroom, we can do read alloweds on books that talk about our differences. I can also supply my students with different skin color shade crayons when drawing. I notice that when children color, their options are limited on skin color. So providing students will all shades of skin color can eliminate awkwardness and potential bullying. The film and articles gave me a better understanding of how to look out for bullies and how to avoid it. When working with young students it is important that we foster a welcoming and equal environment for all of our students. That way we can reduce the rate of bullying. 



Picture:

 [Stop Bullying]. FreePink.  https://www.freepik.com/free-vector/stop-bullying-illustration-concept_8845717.htm


Articles

Anna Nolin. Framing Bullying for Educators. https://d3n8a8pro7vhmx.cloudfront.net/themes/51172dcc1ad07a63d6000002/attachments/original/1361410989/1_FramingBullyingforEducators.pdf?1361410989

American Institute for Research. Social and Emotional Learning and Bullying Prevention. https://www.casel.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/3_SEL_and_Bullying_Prevention_2009.pdf

National School Climate Center. (2010). 10 Ways to be an Upstander. https://bullybust.org/students/upstander


Film:

"Bully" (2011)

Comments

  1. Hey Kailee,

    I felt the same way as you as Kelby's story unfolded while I was watching the documentary "Bully". Her story really stood out to me, and I thought it was totally unfair the way she was treated by her peers, and by the administration at her school. I really love how you put an emphasis on the "plastic smile" given to Kelby and her parents, as I feel like this is a problem across all of schools. Like you said, they'd probably rather them be honest then give them false hope, and I feel the same way about things in my life. I'd rather someone be straight up with me then give me false hope about something. I also love how you brought up Kelby standing up for herself as well, and as future educators I believe this mindset is important for us to teach our children, to be assertive and calm when handling tough situations. This idea was a big focal point of the article from this weeks module, and something I included in my blog as well. I really enjoyed reading through your blog!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment